Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Question about Salon etiquette for hair dressers?

I have a question about salon etiquette. I've been going to the same hair dresser for several years at a higher end salon that is a wee bit out of my price range, but I splurge because I like her so much. She has been very nice to me and knows that I don't make much money. She has even charged me as an employee for dye jobs before (with permission from the owner). I didn't ask her to do this, she just offered it to me one day.





I want my hair lightened so that I can dye it green again. She has said before that the unnatural hair colors they use at the salon don't last very long and that I would be better off using Special Effects dye like I have in the past. I still need my hair lightened before dying it. I would like to have my hair lightened by her but this higher end salons starts at $90 for lightening, which is far out of my price range. Would it be rude to lighten my hair myself or go to a cheaper salon just for the lightening, but continue going to her for all other needs? Or should I just find a way to pay for their lightening services? I don't want to ask her to charge me as en employee again because this is a more complicated service and I don't want to abuse the favor that they've done for me in the past. On top of that, I simply think it would be rude to ask someone to charge me less for their hard work.





Any hair dressers out there have any advice on the polite and considerate thing to do?Question about Salon etiquette for hair dressers?
Of course you can go anywhere you like to have it done if you cannot afford your usual salon. There's nothing rude about that. You are confusing business with friendship, which a lot of people do. It's great that you have a good relationship with her and there's no reason that shouldn't continue. But you have every right to go where you can afford to go and she should think nothing of it.Question about Salon etiquette for hair dressers?
I think you should tell her the situation. Explain that you'd like to have it done, but it's prohibitively expensive. Ask if she has any ideas to help defray the cost.....and see what she says.





This way you give her the option or allowing, or even suggesting that you lighten your hair yourself.





It's possible that you just can't do this right now too. Maybe you need to save the money to pay for this and then just go do it and not ever bring it up at all. Good luck.....hope it works out. My gf wants to do the exact same thing, except she's thinking blue......maybe red or purple.
I'm not a hair dresser, but I'll tell you what I would do. Talk to the lady who normally does your hair. Explain to her what you want to do, and ask if she has any tips. Tell her that you appreciate what she did in the past. Maybe ask her which cosmetology school she went to. Often times the schools will charge less than salons will, and people are eger to help their school.
No, it's not rude to keep yourself from going bankrupt by dyeing your own hair. Your stylist is not a family member that will be insulted if you don't come in and only use her services on your hair, so don't worry about that.





You're correct not to assume that she will be able to repeat the favor, but you certainly can go somewhere else and find out if they can do it for less. You're not going to hurt anyone's feelings, it's just business.
It is never rude to remain within your budget. Never, ever, ever. It's only rude if you're rude about doing it.





Rude: Walk into your favorite salon and announce in a bratty tone ';you guys overcharge for lightening, so I got it done at this cheaper place';





Polite: Walk into your favorite salon and don't mention that you had work done elsewhere. If asked, you can be honest about it without being rude.





After all, it's the salon's job to take you to a level from where you were when you walked in, not some point in the past.





Neat question, and stay within your budget!
It's your hair and your money, it is completely up to you what you do with it. Nobody has a commitment to a hairdresser.