Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Do salons charge more for a veteran hair dresser?

Do salons charge more for a veteran hair dresser vs. someone that is learning and starting out?





I have an appointment for a salon today, never been there before, and the receptionist asked which hair dresser I wanted and I just replied whoever's available and she asked if I was new and I said yes and now I think that might have been a bad reply.





I don't want a newbie that is learning the ropes because I'm quite picky about my hair and I don't want to spend $40 for a haircut I won't like.





Thanks for your answer.





10 points to whoever is most helpful :)Do salons charge more for a veteran hair dresser?
Yes most salons do charge more for a more experienced stylist. There is usually a pay scale, with stylist on each level. However a lower level stylist is not necessarily less experienced. She could just be a new employee at the salon having worked at other salons previously. Also new stylist right out of school have had at least 2 years of schooling. In most salons new stylist have an in salon training, which last a year or 2 based on how quickly you pick up there techniques.





Your best bet is to call the salon and ask about your stylist and they're training. What I do is ask for a stylist specializing in curly hair and her previous experience. Like my stylist mom and sister both have curly hair and thats how I picked her.. she does an AWESOME job.





Salons sometimes put a portfolio for stylist on their website or explain prices based on stylist levels..





Hope this helps!! :)